We build solid legal
frameworks for franchising.
Franchising is a complex area of law governed by the Franchising Code of Conduct (Code) that encompass many interconnecting legal matters including leasing, licensing, compliance with regulations and the Code, giving rise to complexities and pitfalls. As Australasia’s expert end to end franchising business, specialising in franchise development, we are able to provide a wide range of legal services to franchisors and franchisees and support franchise sales and marketing activities.
Have the experience and expertise to advise in a variety of industries including working with retail, food, professional, trade and services organisations. We take a multidisciplinary approach to ensure that the appropriate talent and experience are applied at every stage of the client’s business. Our expertise extends to all property and commercial matters and lease negotiations associated with franchising; having acted for franchisors, franchisees, landlords and tenants in retail, commercial and industrial leasing including franchise documentation and transactional process development and management, to ensure that the client’s business needs are served professionally and cost effectively.
In everything we do:
- we adopt a pragmatic and commercial focus;
- we adopt the highest ethical standards;
- we aim to get the job done as soon as possible; and
- we are available when called upon.
Our expertise lies in dealing with the full range of legal challenges facing businesses operating in a franchise environment including:
- drafting and review of franchise and disclosure documentation and all other associated documents that form part of the franchise relationship; and
- Franchise disputes and Regulatory Compliance.
We have strong affiliations with many industries to bring to you the most suitable experts to provide to you a comprehensive and timely advice to ensure you are able to operate your business and address all your legal and commercial requirements. We offer cost estimates in all matters at competitive hourly rates. Cost agreements are issued in all matters.
We make it our business to know what is happening in the franchise industry and are actively involved in professional bodies, committees and organisations within the industry. Our team is supported by other specialised practices including Property, Commercial, Intellectual Property, and Dispute Resolution.
- Start-ups of franchise systems, including drafting and reviewing of Franchise Agreements and Disclosure Documents and associated documentation.
- Negotiating Master Franchise Agreements for operations in Australia and overseas.
- Franchisor system growth and expansion, including overseas expansion.
- Sale and acquisition of Franchisor or Master Franchise systems including sale and acquisition and advice to Franchisees.
- Disputes by Franchisors and Franchisees, from informal dispute resolution, to Code mediations through to fully litigated Court disputes.
- Addressing legal compliance issues, including Code updating and compliance issues and relevant national and state-based laws impacting on a system.
- Addressing Australian Consumer Laws advice and compliance strategies, audits and programs and ACCC enquiries and investigations and other regulatory investigations against Franchisors.
- Distribution and licensing matters relating to the franchise system including supply relationships.
Looking for legal support?
Fill out the form below and our legal team will be in touch
It all goes together.
Skip the hassle of different lawyers, consultants, agencies and technology providers. We’ll handle it all for you, under one roof. We are a passionate team of franchise experts, committed to changing your business for the better.
Our journey with DC Strategy has been fantastic! From that initial strategic workshop to implementing our franchise program – there’s been lots of touch points. But if I think of one really great thing in our overall relationship and how DC Strategy continues to contribute to our success, it’s having them on our board.Warren Jones - Chairman, Total Tools
When DC Strategy came in to meet the board at the time, the noise was taken away. Once they had been convinced by the expert this is what you need to do and this is how you need to approach it and from thereon we never looked back.Marshall Hartwich - National Market Development Manager, Ben and Jerry's
The DC Strategy team draws upon its solid understanding of the franchise model to improve the performance of our organization. By tapping their knowledge, we have more quickly identified our opportunity areas and defined the action steps to capitalize on them.Bill Swanson, - CEO, Cartridge World International
We were comfortable with the consultancy because it was responsible for the growth and development of significant franchise systems and brands. Having a full-service firm ensures the consistency of information, advice and message from exiting franchisor and franchisee.Joe Cirillo - CEO of Cirillo