Restaurant that started with a dream and a life changing burger
The Business: Royal Stacks
Royal Stacks is restaurant that started with a dream and a life changing burger. Many moons ago, the founder Dani was travelling the US and happened upon a burger that changed the path of his life – no, really.It was a burger so good, that he proceeded to try 30 more American burgers on his 34-day trip. From there, with an affinity for street royalty and a damn good burger, Royal Stacks was born. When they opened their first store on Collins Street in 2016, they took on a challenge to stand out within one of Melbourne’s vibrant hearts of retail, hospitality, and business. They were quite literally the small fish in a big pond!
- Finding good locations with appropriate rent and foot traffic
- High cost of labour and increased scrutiny of payment of awards wages
- Consistency in quality and replicating the flavour of the food
- Ability to adapt the product offer based on changing trends
- Increased pressure on profit margins and fierce competition
DC Strategy developed the proposed strategy, Royal Stacks’ performance, position and future potential have been viewed through four lenses; investor perspectives, domestic and international industry trends and Royal Stacks’ current market position. These different perspectives provided a context for strategy development.
The proposed strategy aimed to deliver strong shareholder returns by extracting significant potential in the domestic business.
There are four key strategic themes:
- Optimised current store portfolio and embed appropriate financial disciplines
- Disciplined and targeted Victorian store rollout
- Maximised online food ordering and delivery platform trend
- Interstate expansion
- Cleaned up existing ownership structure.
Where are they now?
Multiple Stores in Australia and China Revenue: $13 Million In mid-2019, they took on one of the boldest challenges yet – expanding the Royal Stacks kingdom into China. Their brand and ethos were embraced quickly, and they rolled out stores in Chongqing, Beijing, and Shenzhen.
We are here to help you
We help businesses of all sizes, from large corporations to sole traders, through a diverse team and nearly 40 years of experience.